516. Using end gate of a gondola car for a hand hold, when car is loaded with freight which is liable to shift, while in motion, should be avoided whenever possible.
517. When boarding or alighting from the gangway of locomotive, face the locomotive and take a secure hand hold on both vertical handles. Be sure of footing on ground before releasing hold of handles.
518. Watch for unexpected movement of locomotives or cars due to slack running out or in, cars being on grade, misunderstanding in giving or observing signals, or for other reasons.
519. Watch to avoid being caught between locomotives, cars and fixed structures or cars on adjacent track.
520. While riding on engines or cars, operating coupler release lever on car or locomotive other than the one on which riding, is prohibited.
521. When getting off standing equipment, retain hand hold until foot is firmly placed, to avoid falling, slipping, tripping, or turning ankle.
522. When getting on or off moving equipment, avoid if possible, coal, boards, stones, rubbish, refuse, material, ties, rails, frogs, guard rails, switches, switch stands, ballast, holes, openings, bridges, culverts, trestles, etc., likely to result in falling, slipping, tripping or turning ankle.